Sebastian Vettel remains sceptical over whether Formula 1’s new Sprint Qualifying races will make the upcoming grand Prix weekends better.
A plan to introduce extra races on Saturdays during three rounds in 2021 was approved by the Formula 1 commission earlier this week. Vettel, who was earlier quoted saying that the idea makes no sense is doubtful about its true purpose.
“We need to see,” said Vettel. “Obviously it’s decided so we’ll give it a go. “The reasoning behind this, there are probably two ways to explain it but the official one is that should be more exciting. We’ll see if it’s more exciting. I hope it is.”
“If it turns out to be more exciting and the people like it, then maybe we’ll all have to sort of reset and adapt. “If they don’t like it and we don’t like it then we should go back. I’m generally against creating a mess on purpose, otherwise, you just might roll the dice.
“But we’ll see. Hopefully, the cars get closer and closer to each other so we don’t need to think about more of these things. But as I said, now I’m pretty open and we’ll see how it turns out.”
In comparison, Vettel’s former teammate Charles Leclerc welcomed the news of Sprint Qualifying races will go ahead, but it should not distract it from the main event on Sundays.
“I’m quite happy that we are trying this,” said Leclerc. “I think it’s good that we have three grand prix where we’ll try this.
“The main important thing is that it doesn’t devalue the Sunday event, which is the main race, and this should remain the main race. But to have a sprint race might be interesting.
We’ll also see the cars being pushed to the max from the first lap to the last lap, which will be nice for us drivers.”